21 Eylül 2012 Cuma

Should Mother's Defend Children Against Bullies?

Today I was surfing around when I came across 2 very interesting articles that made me pause.

mother protecting child
As my son gets closer to going to kindergarten, my concern about dealing with bullies is increasing. Not only do children bully each other but it seem teachers can also be the bully.

The first article from the Atlanta Black Star was about a Teacher slaps 15 y/o student 4 times in the face. Why? Because the student left her binder home. Can you believe that?! The teacher's excuse? She was "acting out a scene from “Bridemaids” in which one character smacks some sense into another character"

What. The. Hell.

When is it ever OK for an adult teacher to slap their teenage student in the face?! In class. Causing humiliation.

If I was the mother of that girl I would be PISSED. Which sorta lead me into the next article where a mother is facing child abuse charges after fighting with a teenager who was bullying her son. Not only was this boy bullying her son, when this mom confront him about it he got a bit disrespectful. Which caused the mom to get a bit physical

Now, let me go on record here and say no I don't agree that adults should beat up on children. BUT I also don't believe that children should step out their place with adults. Especially when that child is bullying my son!

As I sit here writing this post, I look over at my son playing nicely next to me. At this moment I can say I hope I would handle a situation like that different. That I would find a non violent way of dealing with a child who's bulling my son.

But the reality is when it comes to my son, just the thought of someone looking at him cross-eyed is enough to make me put my hair in a pony tail, get out the sneakers and Vaseline and stand ready to fight on his behalf. That's the role of a mother and father.....we protect. Going to school shouldn't be an abusive experience. That's not why we send our children to school!

I dunno what things will be like in less then 2 years when my son officially enters the school system, but I think it's a good idea to start saving the bail money now.

What do you think about bullying in schools? How have you deal with someone bullying your child?


Like this article? Subscribe to the RSS feed or for email updates!

Posted in: Blog

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder